Tuesday 15 October 2013

My Journey with the Elizabethans- Elizabethan Hair Inspiration



As we are now starting to think about what kind of contemporary hairstyles we might like to create in our practical sessions, I thought I would do some research to see if I could find any inspiration for what I would like to achieve, or generally just any Elizabethan themed hairstyles that caught my eye. 



Image Credit: Thumper- Elizabethan Research. The Ladies of 2.318. 2013. (Online) Available at: http://ladiesof2318.wordpress.com/2011/09/12/thumper-elizabethan-research/ . (Accessed 15 October 2013) 



The most prominent and interesting thing that stood out for me in this photo was the incorporation of the pearls throughout the hair, not only does it add a touch of elegance and class, but it also presents us with different textures.  It looks as if the pearls have been threaded through the curls, I feel there is just enough pearls throughout the hair, as if the whole head was covered the style of the hair in tight pin curls would not be recognised.   The heart shape of the hair is very common of the Elizabethan times,  and I really like the way the shape of the hair is outlined with lace, which creates a much softer feel as their hair often looked very harsh.  




Image Credit: Anne Neville, Queen of Richard the Third of England - Kings and Queens Photo (7141994) - Fanpop. 2013. (Online) Available at: http://www.fanpop.com/clubs/kings-and-queens/images/7141994/title/anne-neville-queen-richard-third-england-photo/15?show_2013=true . (Accessed 07 October 2013)


I actually analysed this on my Make Up blog also, but I just love the hairstyling particularly in this portrait of Elizabeth.  Just like my previous image, the shape of the hair is very much common of the era, the round, almost heart shape, but in this portrait there are strands of hair that fall down in ringlets.  This adds an unusual element, and again a softer feel to Elizabeth, I admire these kind of hairstyles that create a mellow look to her, as often I'm sure that would have been quite difficult to achieve as she was quite a stern looking lady anyway.  Again pearls have been incorporated but this time on her headpiece, pearls give a sense of purity, which she would have desired during the Elizabethan era, especially as she was known as the 'Virgin Mary'.  The headpiece is fairly simple, with only a handful of jewels, however I would imagine that with such statement red hair anyway, less would have been more when adding a headpiece.


No comments:

Post a Comment